Sunday, September 11, 2011

Freedom

Ten years ago today I was in 8th grade, and I had just gotten to my 2nd period class for the day, which was P.E. After changing into our P.E. clothes and lining up for roll-call, my teacher, Ms. Blagburn told us that we would go to the library for the period because the World Trade Center in NYC had been hit by a plane. At 13 I didn't even know the World Trade Center was. I didn't understand what she meant by a plane crashing into the building, was it on accident? Was it planned? I guess you can consider it a blessing that being from the USA I had never heard the term "terrorist." Because of our soldiers fighting for our freedom since the day this country was founded, I had never had to deal with terrorists or attacks in our country. We went to the library and watched the coverage of the crisis, and sat in disbelief while the second plane hit the tower. Our teachers were crying and talking, we all were just sitting there in confusion. Why was this happening? What did these people do to deserve this? Who was doing this?

 The older I got the more I understood what happened on September 11, 2001. I got the opportunity to go to NYC in Spring 2003 and see Ground Zero. I remember feeling mad when I saw all the names of the people who lost their lives listed around the fence protecting the grounds. I was mad that our country, after everything our service members had endured throughout history, was still having to go through this. How did we allow these people in our country? We pride ourselves with being the Land of the Free, but does that mean that we'll let just anybody in our country to steal what is ours? I still feel that way today. Our military is still fighting for Freedom, for rights to do what we please, say what we feel and we still have issues with people from other countries coming in and taking what belongs to us, citizens, to our soldiers, to our soldiers' families. I guess life isn't fair in that way. The USA is the "melting pot," always has been, always will be. Our ancestors that founded our country were immigrants looking for a new beginning, a fresh start, and Freedom to believe what they wanted to believe. Because we have citizens willing to fight for these freedoms and stand up for what we all want, our country will always be desired by others who can't enjoy these things in their country. It's flattering in a way, even though it's frustrating in other ways. May we be able to show these new immigrants what real Patriotism means. We showed them that in adversity and crisis and tragedy we can stand together, but may we show them that in our Freedom we stand together, as Americans.

Thank you servicemen and women for all you've done, all you do, and for all you'll continue to strive for.



Where were you 10 years ago today?

No comments:

Post a Comment